Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Vegan MOFO: Wicked Wednesday–La Cucaracha Shake

La Cucaracha in Spanish means "The Cockroach." So why in the world did I name this shake after an insect? Since this blog is vegan, you know it's not because there are any actual cockroaches in the recipe.

I came up with this adult version of a chocolate shake many years ago while on vacation with some friends. We had a little non-dairy ice cream on hand, some Oreos and some Kahlua. What could be more natural than to put all this together? I think the peanut butter is a recent addition, well, just because I love peanut butter and chocolate.


La Cucaracha? I think the crumbled Oreos look like crushed cockroaches, I guess. Sorry. It sounded exotic.

I've been told the song "La Cucaracha" is all about stomping on cockroaches. Or more metaphorically, about stomping out an oppressive regime.

La Cucaracha (adult version)
Makes one shake 
(Why would you want to share?)

1 cup            vanilla non-dairy ice cream
1 Tbs            chocolate syrup (or 1/2 Tbs cocoa)
1/2-3/4 cup   non-dairy milk
1 Tbs            Kahlua
1 Tbs            peanut butter

Oreo crumbles*.

Mix all items in a blender, pulse 'til mixed. Add more ice cream if you like a thicker shake. Leave out Kahlua if you are sharing with anyone under age 21. Top with Oreo crumbles.

* To make this gluten/wheat-free, either leave out the crumbles or use a gluten-free or wheat-free chocolate cookie. Newman's makes a wheat-free Oreo-like cookie (it's not GF).
No actual cockroaches were harmed in the making of this recipe or blog post. Nor do I advocate stomping on cockroaches. I don't think I've ever stomped on a cockroach in my life. I have been known to find a cricket (that was driving me mad) that had found its way into my bedroom and gently carry it outside. True story.


No comments: