Monday, September 2, 2013
Vegan MOFO Mash-it-up Monday: These Aren't Your Mother's Scrambled Eggs
For the month of September, Mash-it-up Monday will have recipes for things that are...mashed, blended or maybe things put together that you normally wouldn't think of putting together. Like two songs in a "Mash-Up." Or Sea Salt with Dark Chocolate. (We know now this goes together...but three years ago?) Maybe smoothies or blended soups. Or mashed potatoes or mashed .... you name it!
Today's recipe is a favorite of my daughter's...she routinely asks for my Tofu Omelettes and Scrambled Tofu. Makes me happy. (It's not always easy to please a 12 year old.)
This is an easy breakfast to make, and you can use whatever veggie you have in the fridge–you don't have to use broccoli. But to really impress a vegan, you do need to do a little planning if you don't regularly have tofu and turmeric on hand.
The secret these days to a great vegan "egg" dish is the salt. Not just any old sea salt or Himalayan Pink. This is India Black Kala Namak Salt, by The Spice Lab (available at their website or via Amazon). It really does have that "sulphur" smell and taste, which gives tofu eggs that special egg-y flavor. (Great for making vegan deviled eggs, too.)
These Aren't Your Mother's Scrambled Eggs
(Unless you are my daughter!)
1 Package Firm Tofu (the kind in water, not vacuum packed, about 15 oz)
2 baby carrots, grated
3 broccoli florets, grated or chopped very finely
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp granulated onion*
1/2 tsp garlic powder*
1/4-1/2 tsp India Black Kala Namak Salt
1 tsp dried parsley (or 1 Tbs fresh)
1/2 cup vegan cheese, grated (I use Daiya Mozzerella)**
1-3 Tbs water or non-dairy milk (opt)
1-3 Tbs oil/margarine or water for frying
Serve with vegan sour cream, vegan margarine or ketchup.
* If using fresh onion and/or garlic, chop finely and saute in large frying pan first in oil/margarine or water.
** The cheese is optional, but I found that using it helps the mixture stay together and it browns better, like the photo. If you like your scrambled "eggs" really soft, then omit the cheese or melt it on top later.
1. In a large bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands or with a masher. Grate carrots into bowl, then grate broccoli into bowl. Mix well.
2. Add turmeric, onion, garlic, salt, parsley and vegan cheese. Mix well. Don't worry that it doesn't look very yellow yet. It "colors up" when it cooks.
3. If mixture seems too dry, add water or non-dairy milk a tablespoon at a time until wet. Mix well.
4. Place the mixture about a 1/2 cup at a time in a hot pan (med high) with your choice of oil/margarine. Pat it down with your spatula so it is flat and not too thick. Let the bottom brown before you turn it. When you go to flip a section, try to flip one spatula-full at a time. Don't stir this up like you would a real egg scramble (unless you like your eggs softer). I like the browning it since it adds a little mouth-feel, and you won't get it if you keep stirring it. There will be plenty soft "egg" inside still.
5. Serve and eat!