Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Black-Eyed Peas

This is my own creation after reading a number of recipes. No, I didn't make any cornbread, but next time I will.

I didn't measure a thing, so this is all approximate.

First I soaked overnight about 1.5 cups of the black-eyed peas I found in my pantry. (That was lucky!)

Then I drained off the water, rinsed and added enough water to cover by an inch, added about 3TBS of no-salt veggie broth powder, 2 tsp salt and simmered for about 30 minutes.

Next, I sauteed some onion (1 whole) and garlic (2 cloves minced). To that pan I added about 2 cups of the beans, some of the simmering broth, a little white wine and some veggie bacon bits (to add that Southern hamhock flavor without killing a pig).

And, heat it all up....serve and EAT!

I had beans left over, I could have added it all to this pan.

Someday I'll remember to take a picture before we eat it all!

Ingredients
1.5 cups black-eyed peas
2 tsp salt
3 TBS veggie broth powder

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 TBS veggie baco bits
1/4 - 1/2 cup white wine

What else would have been good?
Sauteed Mushrooms
Serve it on brown rice
Serve it on corn bread

No comments: