Friday, July 25, 2008

Pearson Pinkham Pancakes


Vegan
Difficulty Rating: 1 (easy)

Sift together

1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (opt.)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (opt.)
1/2 cup walnuts

Mix together

1 Tbs cooking oil
1 1/4-1 1/2 cups water (or combination with non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the dry. Mix the wet. Mix the two together (be gentle, do not over-mix).
If you use no-gluten Red Mill flour, either reduce the water or increase the flour.

This is my adaptation of a recipe in my first vegan cookbook, The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, produced by a commune many ages ago in Tennessee. (A good friend, whom I met a few years ago, was actually born there.)

I have added more baking powder and the spices, and reduced the sugar.

You can certainly add banana, different nuts, chocolate chips, berries...anything you want. It's a great basic recipe.

Gluten-free update: I used Bob Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix and a little Xanthan Gum and I swear they turned out better than ever!

No comments: