Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kansas Krazy Cake


Vegan
Difficulty Rating: 1 (easy)

1-1/2 cups sifted flour
1 cup light brown sugar (3/4 Cup also works fine)
3 TBSP cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBSP cooking oil
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup water

Oven 350 for 45 minutes. (About 15-20 minutes for cupcakes)

The original instructions call for making this all in the pan and mixing it up. I use a bowl and pour into pan that has been oiled and dusted for easy removal.

8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan (or equivalent) or round cake pan.

This is a recipe that my mom included in my school's cookbook when I was in 4th grade at Annunciation School in Stockton. She typed it on a real typewriter...yes it was almost 40 years ago. I think it was a common recipe at the time, she just gave it another name. (My dad was from Kansas.) It just happens to be vegan by default.

I make this for almost every birthday at my house. Everyone loves it, and it's so easy to make. One recipe makes a nice small bundt or a one-layer round cake if you like, and double it for two round cakes to make a traditional birthday cake. Yes, it makes good cupcakes, too. Fill the cupcakes almost to the top--it doesn't rise as much as other cakes.

I'm happy eating it without icing, alone or with vegan ice cream. My daughter loves icing more than cake, so I will make icing with Tofutti Vegan Cream Cheese, vegan margarine, vanilla and powdered sugar. For more icing recipes, buy Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, or their blog Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World.

Want a vanilla cake? Just don't add the cocoa, and maybe add a little more vanilla.


Other ideas for this cake: add some instant coffee, vegan chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, nuts, etc. Possibilities are endless!

Gluten-free update: I used Bob Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix and a little Xanthan Gum and this is still a great chocolate cake that is super easy to make!

No comments: