Thursday, September 5, 2013

Vegan MOFO: Thaw-it Thursday–Amy's GF Tofu Scramble


Ok, so Wicked Wednesday gave me a total sugar high and I flaked on getting posts up even on Thursday! Here's the catch-up for Thaw-it Thursday...Amy's Gluten Free Tofu Scramble Breakfast Wrap.

  

I love this company since they make vegan foods and they make them well. They are made with real ingredients, most of them taste good and to top it off, they are a local company. How lucky can a girl get? Amy's produces dozens of items...be sure to check out their website since your local store may not carry them all. My hometown Whole Foods never seems to carry this wrap anymore, but I can get the next town over or at Pacific Market here in town.


I've had an interesting history with this wrap. I appreciate any company that can make a gluten-free food, and one that tastes good. This wrap is a little soggy (and tends to fall apart) when it first comes out of the microwave (you purists who only use real ovens may like it crispier from a toaster oven), but I've discovered a trick–if you aren't in a hurry to eat, that is!

I was working for a friend on a large job out of town, staying at her place with a number of other women also working this job. A tiny kitchen and several women does not make for elaborate meals! Especially when only one of us is vegan. I needed to pack myself a lunch and I decided to defrost this in the micro one morning and put it in a container for my lunch. I didn't need it hot. What I discovered was that it was very tasty cold, and actually held together better (like a real burrito) in my hands and was a perfect on-the-job lunch to pull out of my bag. So, letting it sit for a few hours after heating it up seemed to improve the "wholeness" of it!

I still like to have these around when I might have no time to make a real breakfast or need to pack a lunch. Thumbs up for Amy's Gluten Free Tofu Scramble.

No comments: