Friday, September 6, 2013

Vegan MOFO: Fry-it Friday

This is a re-post from my new Coastal Vegan Cave Girl blog. 
It's vegan, it's Paleo and AIP (AutoImmune Protocol) friendly.
This is what I threw together after a day of not planning any meals–but I had stocked my kitchen with these fresh foods. I ate a little over half of this for dinner and the rest for breakfast the next day. Traditionally I would have served this with rice or another grain and my whole family would have eaten it. Since I plan on having rice now and then myself, I can see eating it that way, and reducing my portion with the addition of rice.


Bean There, fried that!
(Green bean/Kale/Carrot Stir-fry)
Serves 1-3
Protein per recipe: ~  9.2g

2-3 Tbs olive oil
1/3 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 1/4 cup green beans, cut 3-4 inches
2 tsp ginger juice* (or about 1 inch chopped/minced ginger)
2 tsp sesame oil
2 handfuls chopped kale

Medium to high heat. Heat oil in pan. Add onions until glistening. Add carrots, stir. Cook until tender, 3-6 minutes.  I added about a 1/4 cup water to the carrots and then let them steam with the lid on. Add green beans, cook about a minute. Add oil and ginger, stir. Add kale to the top and put lid on, let steam for a few more minutes. Total cooking time about 10-15 minutes.

Like with all stir-frys, try to keep your veggies bright and little crunchy. Right now I like things a little softer since I have a bad tooth. (Update: Tooth fixed!)

I used sesame oil for flavor even though it is a seed oil. The Hartwigs in "It Starts with Food"* feel such small amounts are OK. You can always omit this without a huge loss in flavor.

No comments: