Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Cranberry Blossoms

This is a recipe from the blog of Meghan Telpner, Making Love in the Kitchen. It was fairly easy to make, although I have some suggestions after trying this myself. (Just melt the coconut oil and mix with chocolate. Take it off the heat very quickly. Mine cooked too long and got fudge-y.) This was my first attempt at a confection like this.

You can visit her blog at this link to see the recipe. (And find all the other goodness she has there!)

http://meghantelpnerblog.com/2011/03/14/spike-march-break-monday-with-chocolate-and-rum/

Changes I made:
  • I used agave syrup instead of honey.
  • Be sure to "just" melt the coconut oil and mix in the chocolate, do not overcook, it will become very thick and not pourable.
  • I was only able to make six Blossoms, but maybe I could have made the 12 if the chocolate had stayed pourable. It still worked and they tasted great.
This is a perfect recipe to try if you are hoping to impress a vegan. We so rarely get to eat desserts that we haven't made ourselves because they contain dairy, egg or other animal products. This is even gluten-free. I think you could even use all raw ingredients and melt the coconut oil in a bath of hot water to keep it "legally" raw.

The green you see here is a chocolate mint I have growing in my yard. I didn't use it in this recipe, but thought it would make such a pretty addition.

No comments: